Physical Education is taught through Durham Core tasks, which include all forms of sport. Children are assessed at their starting point at the beginning of a unit of work. Teachers then plan, differentiate and assess to the needs of the children, before re-assessing their skills at the end of a unit. P.E is also delivered across the year through whole-school events such as house competitions, sporting events run by our P.E Sports Crew and Sports Day. A wide variety of after school clubs support our PE provision. We are very proud to have earned Bronze Award for School Games.
In PE we follow 6 School Games Values:
- Teamwork – everyone is treated equally, we support and respect our fellow class mates and team mates in order to have fun and achieve. We are positive role models.
- Honesty – We are honest with ourselves and with others. We compete in a fair and honest way.
- Respect – We show respect at all times for each other, for ourselves, for opposition teams, for referees. We show sportsmanship, shake hands with our fellow opponents and support our team mates in a respectful manner.
- Determination – Having the courage to follow our dreams. Having the mental strength, self discipline and determination to overcome obstacles, work towards our goals and work on been the best sportsperson we can be.
- Passion – Giving 100% effort. Competing with your heart and soul and never giving up in adverse times. Been passionate about the sport you play and willing to give 100% to achieve your goals.
- Self Belief– Always believe you can achieve. Having the confidence and self-belief to succeed
PE Progression and Overview
Physical Education in EYFS
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and carefully planned provision are designed to support children’s physical development. We offer daily playful opportunities for children to engage in physical activity both in and outdoors. Our children have access to free flow play for sustained periods of time and are encouraged to use our large outdoor environment including our forest school, mud kitchen, play equipment and large sandpit. We access this environment all year round and in all weather conditions to support the development of gross and fine motor control, balance, coordination, confidence and problem solving skills. We explore meditation, yoga, massage and relaxation techniques and share a range of healthy snacks to develop our understanding of the importance of a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Physical Education in KS1 and KS2.
Please take a look at our PE overview and our progression of skills documents for each of the areas in PE:
- Athletics Progression of Skills for EYFS and KS1
- Athletics Progression of Skills for Lower and Upper KS2
- Athletics Progression of Skills
- Dance Progression of Skills for EYFS and KS1
- Dance Progression of Skills for Lower and Upper KS2
- Dance Progression of Skills
- Games Progression of Skills for EYFS and KS1
- Games Progression of Skills for Lower and Upper KS2
- Games Progression of skills
We work closely with Durham and Chester-le-Street School Sports Partnership to deliver high-quality PE teaching. Coaches regularly come into school to teach and develop staff training and CPD. For more information about the partnership please click here.
This half term we have Years 4, 5 and 6 taking part in swimming lessons. We also have the School Sports Partnership (SSP) coming in to school to do a Cross Country Intra school competition. There will be a Halloween sports festival for Years 1,2 and 3. Heading up to Christmas, we will also be having a Festive Christmas Fun Run for the whole school!
In Spring term KS2 will take part in a Dodgeball Competition, Year 3 and 4 will be going out of school for a Multisports Event and we will have the SSP in after half term delivering Games and Fundermantal Movement Skills lessons. Before the Easter jolidays, we will have another Intr-school competition held by the SSP. Years 3/4/5/6 will all be part of the Friday swimming lessons.
In Summer term Years 3/4/5/6 will be swimming again. We have all classes going out of schools for a variety of events with the School Sports Partnership. The children will also be taking part in Skipping Week and Sports Week. This term will also see the children learning dance routines with a dance coach and Year 1/2/3 will take part in a Disney themes festival.
This half term we have Years 3 and 4 continuing with their swimming lessons. We also have a coach coming in, from the School Sports Partnership, to support with PE lessons in Year 1&2 and 3&4. Years 5&6 will continue to receive one PE lesson each week from LK Health and Wellness. Towards the end of the month, we will be having another Inter-house competition in cross country and our much loved Festive Fun Run!
In Spring term Year 5/6 will be receiving swimming lessons each week. We also have a couple of Inter-competitions delivered by the SSP (School Sports Partnership). There will be an after school club for football starting with Emma from Fast Feet, in Spring 2. We are also going to have a visit from a sports champion called Chris Bennett; his sport is hammer throw.
In Summer term Year 3/4 will be swimming again. We have all classes going out of schools for a variety of events with the School Sports Partnership. The children will also be taking part in Skipping Week and Sports Week. This term will also see the children attempting to carry out sports on an inflatable. How exciting!
Some of our key sports events include:
Tennis lessons with Jonathan Newton (Summer 1)
Inter-sports event – Athletics (Pentathlon) with the SSP (Spring 2)
Sports Champion visit (Spring 1)
Christmas Fun Run
Inter-house competitions – Beanbag Throw